For Faculty and Staff
While WFU data must remain within our secure WFU systems, faculty and staff are permitted to retrieve and store their Google-hosted personal data and files for their own use.
To retrieve and store personal data:
- While logged into your @wfu.edu account, go to https://takeout.google.com/.
- By default, Google Takeout selects all possible data and file types to include in the Takeout archive. You may choose to Deselect all and then individually select the files you'd like to download.
- Select Next Step.
- Here you are asked to select the file type, frequency, and destination for your archive, as well as the maximum size for each archive file.
- Under Delivery Method, choose where to download the archive file when it's ready.
- Under Frequency, select Export once.
- Under File type & size, choose the file type for the archive file and the maximum size.
- NOTE: The file type default is .zip which can be opened on most computers.
- NOTE: By default, Takeout limits archive files to 2 GB and creates as many sequentially numbered files as needed. However, you can select sizes up to 50 GB.
- Select Create export, then wait while Google gathers the files and archives the files to your specifications. Depending on the amount of information in your account, this process could take from a few minutes to a few days. Most people get the link to their archive the same day that they request it.
- When the archive is complete, Takeout emails you with a link to the archived files. Click on the emailed link to view and download your personal data.
- Here are some helpful references for importing mboxes into your new mail client: