Google is transitioning Backup and Sync to a new file syncing app called Google Drive for desktop. Drive for desktop allows you to sync local folders to Google Drive and Google Photos. It also allows you to sync files between your computer and the cloud, and to upload files to Google Drive and Google Photos from external devices.
Backup and Sync will remain available until October, 2021, after which users will not be able to sign in to Backup and Sync.
Users should complete the following steps to download and run Drive for desktop:
- Download Drive for desktop.
- Run the installer and complete the installation steps.
- Start the application: Windows:
- Open Start > Google Drive
- macOS: Open Applications > Google Drive
- Sign in when the application starts using the account that received this email. If you have multiple accounts signed in to Backup and Sync, you will be given the opportunity to move them all to Drive for desktop.
- If the account you are signing in with is also signed into Backup and Sync on your computer, a setup wizard will launch.
- The wizard will copy your settings and guide you through set up.
- If applicable, after Google Drive for desktop is set up, Backup and Sync will be uninstalled. Do not uninstall Backup and Sync until the transition is complete.
- Click Open Drive for desktop at the end of the wizard to get started.