Opening the Side Panel
Utilizing the Google Side Panel in Chrome allows you to access multiple Google products, such as Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and more in the same window.
By default, the Side Panel is hidden. To open and starting using the Side Panel, follow these steps:
- Go to Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, or open a file in Docs, Sheets, or Slides.
- In the bottom right corner of your screen, select the arrow < “Show Side Panel”
- You will see a number of icons appear on a new ride-side menu, referred to as the Side Panel
Utilizing Google Contacts Within the Side Panel
Google Contacts can serve as an internal WFU Directory for faculty and staff that is easily accessible while you work.
- Simply select the Contacts icon in the Side Panel of Gmail
- Search or select a contact
- View their profile, including name, title and position, home department, contact details, recent email or calendar interactions with them, and more.
Notice that if Contacts is open while you move through your emails, the contacts will change to those listed in each email.
Access WFU Google Contacts anytime by syncing with your mobile device or on your computer. You can visit this Google Help article for step by step instructions on how to sync your Google Contacts to your phone, tablet, or computer.
*Please note, Workday is the official source of record for faculty and staff personal information and feeds the information you see in Google Contacts. To update your personal information, visit Workday.wfu.edu.
Example side panel: