The same privacy and security practices that you have implemented at work can be carried out while working remotely.
The following practices are to ensure data privacy and security:
- Locate your remote work area in a place where any audible or viewable information will not be overheard/seen/accessed by any unauthorized individual.
- Properly secure all confidential information in any form (electronic or paper) at all times.
- Ensure paper documents containing confidential information are secured until they can be properly shredded. (i.e., do not dispose of in the trash or recycle bin).
- Secure electronic devices when not in use (i.e., use of lock screens).
- Use only a secure network for remote work; do not use public wired and wireless networks as they are not considered always secure.
- Use the VPN network when carrying out specific tasks, such as accessing certain campus resources when off-campus, such as Banner, Cognos, on-premises servers, and the WFU Wordpress environment. You do not need to use VPN to access cloud services, such as Gmail, G Suite, Webex, Workday, Canvas, WIN and academic software.
- Policy on Responsible and Ethical Use of Computing Resources remains in effect and must be followed
The firstname.lastname@example.org address can be used to report any security or data privacy concerns while working remotely.