What is NameCoach?
NameCoach provides a unique opportunity for campus to create a more inclusive environment by helping members of our community correctly pronounce each other’s names. The service allows you to record your own voice saying your name, as you would like it said by friends, professors, and colleagues on campus. Then, others can playback that recording and learn your name.
How do I record my name?
Recording your name is simple:
- Login to WIN.
- Click on the “Personal” tab in the upper right-hand corner.
- Under “Personal Information,” click “Record Your Name” and follow the instructions given.
- For the clearest recording, use the phone option to record your name. NameCoach will send an automated call to your phone, you will pronounce your name, and the recording will be loaded into WIN! It’s that easy.
Recordings can be updated at any time.
Should I record my formal name or a nickname?
Please record whatever first and last name you are most comfortable with in casual conversation: in the classroom, around the office, and with friends. Graduates will receive a separate communication closer to Commencement to record their preferred formal name.
Where can I hear recordings?
Once recorded in WIN, NameCoach recordings can be played from a variety of sources:
- WIN Internal Directory
- Canvas Profile
- Advisor Card
- School of Business Internal Directory
- School of Law Internal Directory
Look for the purple “play” button to listen to recordings:
If you are ever unsure of how to pronounce the name of someone in our community, please look for a recording of their name in one of these places.
What about Commencement?
If you are a graduating senior, you will receive an email in the Spring as Commencement approaches asking you to do special recording of your name. Please record your full name as you would like it to be said during Commencement. Even if you have previously provided a recording of your name in WIN, you will need to do another recording to be used for the readers at the Commencement ceremony.