In order to support a portable learning environment, every student is required to bring a laptop to campus. The minimum configuration requirements for any model laptop, whether or not purchased through the WakeWare program, are listed below. Requirements are updated every spring.
- Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
- Processor: Intel core i5
- Memory: 8GB
- Hard Drive: 256 SSD
- Antivirus Protection: Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are recommended to protect your device.
- Operating System: OS X 10.13
- Processor: Intel Core i5
- Memory: 16GB
- Hard Drive: 256 SSD
- Antivirus Protection: Sophos is recommended to protect your device. Consult this page for information on installing the Sophos home user version.
16GB of RAM is required on all Apple laptops because, in some situations, you may need to run a virtual environment software, VM Fusion, that allows you to partition the memory of your laptop to simultaneously run Mac and Windows operating systems. VM Fusion is available for download at software @ WFU.
If you are considering a degree in the Wake Forest University School of Business, we strongly recommend a Windows laptop. Many School of Business faculty require students to run various Windows-based applications that do not have Mac equivalents. These applications range from statistical software packages to Windows-only Excel plugins. If you prefer an Apple laptop, pay strict attention to the minimum configuration requirements so that you will be able to run the Windows operating system using VMware Fusion.
Assistance with BYOD devices is available on a best-effort basis.
- Assistance with basic configuration and general questions regarding wireless connectivity, WFU account questions and email configuration will be provided at the Service Desk at no charge to students.
- Hardware repair requests will only be received Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.
- Apple, Dell, and Lenovo ThinkPad laptops can be serviced by the Service Desk at no charge for warranty repairs. Charges to students for parts and labor will apply if repairs are not under warranty. If available, a loaner computer may be provided, although the availability of a loaner computer is not guaranteed.
- Other model computers (Acer, Toshiba, ASUS, HP, etc.) cannot be serviced by the Service Desk.
- The Service Desk will provide a list of local repair facilities in Winston-Salem. Students can also contact the vendor’s sales/support for their shipping instructions for computer repair.