Icons associated with files and programs have disappeared or look different from their default.
To fix, please perform the following on your Windows 7 machine:
Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database
1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.
2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.
3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:
CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.
Keywords: Missing icons, icons look different,